Netkiosk Standard information and help.
Quick overview. Detailed help below.
With Netkiosk Standard Kiosk Software you can quickly lock down your PCs and run a secure flexible kiosk browser.
You can start Netkiosk Standard in full screen tabbed browser or full screen display kiosk browser.
You can configure Netkiosk Standard via the secure admin panel.
You can restrict website access via a flexible white list and content filter.
Netkiosk Standard is fully touch screen compatible.
You can give access to the custom Netkiosk OSK, or the Windows touch keyboard.
After Netkiosk has started users cannot close Netkiosk or access restricted areas of the PC.
Via the secure password protected admin panel the administrator can instantly close Netkiosk Standard.
The PC is then instantly unlocked showing the Microsoft Windows desktop, start menu and task bar.
Secure flexible kiosk browser.
Restrict access to 1 or more websites.
Tabbed browser, or display kiosk browser.
Admin can instantly lock the PC into kiosk mode.
Admin can instantly unlock the PC to Windows.
Windows XP (SP3), NT, Windows 7, 8, 10.
Full screen display kiosk browser.
Admin can instantly switch and set the startup options.
Netkiosk Standard detailed configuration instructions.
Netkiosk Settings Tab.
On first install just press enter to access admin panel.
No username or password needed.
From the Admin Panel Tab you can instantly close Netkiosk and unlock the PC.
No PC restart or user log off needed.
The extra Log of user, Restart PC, and Shut down PC are helper quick short cuts.
Netkiosk license activation and verification.
Before you can change the admin username and password you need to register the PC on which you have installed Netkiosk. You will have to do this on each PC on which you have installed Netkiosk. This is our automatic license check and you only need to do this ones. We only verify if you have a valid Netkiosk license for the PC on which you have installed Netkiosk.
- Simply add your Netkiosk account e-mail address and click the Activate License button.
- You can then set your own username and password in admin panel.
- This will secure access to admin panel.
- Trying to bypass the license verification by editing the user.config file will have no effect on the license check.
- Adding a fake e-mail address will result in us blocking Netkiosk on your device.
This simply means you won’t be able to run Netkiosk on that PC. Your Windows system integrity is not affect in any way what so ever.
Netkiosk Settings Tab.
You have multiple options to control the settings saving and loading.
You can also store the settings on a remote server.
When Netkiosk starts it will download your settings file from your server and load the settings automatically.
Netkiosk Standard Start Options Tab
Enable or disable Netkiosk auto start when the PC starts. (After the user logs in) Enable or disable the Tab key. Automatically start the Netkiosk watcher program. The watcher program will restart Netkiosk in case of an unexpected crash. Start Netkiosk top most. Netkiosk will run in front of all other Windows and Windows dialogs. If a Windows dialog opens users can’t access these as they open in the background.
Run Netkiosk “Top Most”. Netkiosk will run in front of all other Windows. Do NOT enable this when using the Netkiosk OSK
Netkiosk Homepage Tab (White list websites).
1. Enter your home page in the textbox next to option 1.
2. You can enable the white list under option 2.
3. See below how to properly configure the white list settings
4. To block a website or keyword see the content filter Tab
5. Turn the idle time timer on or off. See below for the idle time timer instructions.
Netkiosk Standard white list configuration.
1. You can add up to 40 website names (domains) to allow.
2. Enter the domain name only. Do not enter http:// or www or .com etc.
3. Netkiosk uses domain white listing which means you do not need to enter the full website address.
For example: if your website is http://www.mycompany.com/somefolder/somepage.html
4. You ONLY enter the main domain which in the example is mycompany
5. Do not enter anything like .com etc or the white list will not work properly.
Websites are often redirected to country domains or different sub domain which makes content filtering very tricky.
This is why Netkiosk only looks at the main domain name for the white list.
If your domain has a Facebook or Twitter or Instagram or another subpage then make sure to add these to the white list.
On sites like Facebook and Twitter not always the Full domain is listed due to the character length and other restrictions.
These sites then often abbreviate your domain.
We have added a few samples which, of course you can remove to add your own website domain, and others.
Netkiosk Standard idle time timer.
1. You can set the idle time from 1 to 60 minutes.
If after x time a user leaves the PC without logging out, or the PC is idle for x minutes a Netkiosk screen will pop up.
2. The Netkiosk idle time screen shows the user that Netkiosk will clear their sessions after 30 seconds. (default)
3. A user has the option to click cancel. The user can then continue to use Netkiosk.
4. You can change the reset text to your own text. You can also change the idle time settings.
Netkiosk Browser layout Tab.
You can instantly switch from tabbed browser to full screen display kiosk browser.
Turn Netkiosk display info kiosk mode to ON. to hide all the menubars.
You can hide icons and configure Netkiosk to suit your needs.
Browser clicked links allow you to open all pages in the same tab.
The extra option (security popups) should normally not be changed.
Netkiosk Bookmark toolbar Tab.
1. Netkiosk has a built-in custom bookmark tool bar.
2. You can show or hide the Netkiosk toolbar and give access to up to 10 fixed book marks.
3. Make sure you add the website name (domain) to the white list also if the white list is enabled.
Netkiosk Standard configuration – Folder Access Tab.
1. Change the “Save As”, “Open” or “Confirm Save As” Dialog text to your own language if you are using a non-English Windows version. If
you Windows version is not in English “Save As” will be displayed in your own language.
2. Give access to just 1 folder and block all other folder access.
3. Block all Windows dialog popups. These are non browser popup Windows.
Netkiosk Standard configuration – Content Filter Tab.
Besides the white list Netkiosk also has a custom content filter where you can block entire websites or keywords.
A keyword blocks the entire website when the keyword is found on the web page.
Be careful, as some websites contain keywords like Facebook that you might not want to block.
If you want to block a website like facebook.com, you just enter Facebook in the domain list, on the Content Filter Tab.
Again do not enter anything like http:// or www or .com etc. You only need to enter the main domain name of the website.
You can redirect the user to a custom blocked page when a keyword or website is visited that has been disallowed by the administrator.
Netkiosk Standard configuration – Extra Options Tab.
In some cases when a user logs our certain programs might remain open in the background. This is especially the case with Acrobat Reader.
By adding the Acrobat Reader Program name (Process) Acrobat Reader will automatically close when the user logs out.
You can apply this principle to any other program you want to close when the user logs out (Except for Netkiosk of course.)
Netkiosk Standard configuration – Ctrl+Alt+Del Tab.
You can show or hide the icons on the Ctrl+Alt+Del Menu Options screen.
As part of Microsoft Windows security some of the Ctrl+Alt+Del menu options can only be applied when the Windows user is an admin account.
You can us the Windows group policy settings to control the Ctrl+Alt+Del menu options. Netkiosk does NOT create or control group policy settings.
Netkiosk Standard configuration – OSK Tab.
1. In our latest Netkiosk Standard version you can enable “Auto Show” to be used with touch screens.
2. When a user types in a text box on a website the Netkiosk or Windows OSK will automatically show.
3. If you do not need to give access to the Netkiosk or Windows OSK you can simply hide the icons.
4. You can change the TabTip.exe location to the location of your own custom OSK (or third party OSK)
5. The xml file location is used by the Netkiosk OSK for the OSK layout. An expert can edit the xml file to change the layout.
How to disable the ease of access button on the Windows logon screen (Windows 7/8/10)
Open the Command Prompt and enter the following command and press Enter.
This will modify the ACL on the utilman.exe file so everyone doesn’t have permission to execute this program.
cacls %windir%system32utilman.exe /C /D Everyone
To Enable Ease of Access use this code: cacls %windir%system32utilman.exe /E /G “Everyone”:R
You can copy and paste the code into the command prompt on Windows 7, 8 and 10
You will be prompted with a Y/N just type Y and hit Enter and close the Command Prompt.
If you receive the “Access Denied” error, you need to change the owner of Utilman.exe from Trustedinstaller to Administrators before running the command above.
You will find Utilman.exe in C:/Windows/System32
Right click on Utilman.exe and click, Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner > Edit
Change ownership from TrustedInstaller to Administrator.
In that case on Windows 7, 8 or 10 you simply do the follow.
Press the Windows + R keyboard combination to bring up a run box.
When it appears type netplwiz and hit enter.
This will open the User Accounts dialog box, which will display a list of all the users on your computer.
Select your user account from the list.
Uncheck the “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer” then click the apply button.
This will show the sign in dialog, where you will need to input your password (if the user account has a password)
Then click OK.
Click OK again to close the User Accounts dialog and you’re good to go.
Netkiosk un-installs in just few minutes.
When you close Netkiosk all default windows settings are fully restored.
Except the Windows 7/8/10 Ctrl+Alt+Del options menu which is controlled completely separate from Netkiosk.
You can un-install Netkiosk Kiosk Software via Control Panel.
You can also use NetkioskStandardRestore to fully restore some of your Windows Settings that where in use by Netkiosk.
This small program is automatically installed in the Netkiosk Kiosk Software Admin folder in the admin Start menu when you install Netkiosk.
Two free extra program helpers for Netkiosk Standard 2018.
These are not necessarily needed for Netkiosk to work.